The Importance of Earth Day
Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, on which day events worldwide are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970, and is now coordinated by the Earth Day Network and is celebrated in more than 192 countries each year.
Earth Day celebrations promote various ideas to increase environmental awareness among people. Some of them include convincing people to buy green earth-friendly products, focusing on the concept of reduce, reuse and recycle, and pledging friends and family to fight against global warming.
Many actions are taken to clean up the environment such as planting trees and saplings, collecting and removing garbage, imparting environmental education to others, and cleaning of roads and parks, not to mention signing petitions to help the environment and so much more! What will you do to help our planet?
Ways You Can Celebrate Earth Day This Year
- Take a walk or a bike ride to enjoy nature. You can also do a nature walk scavenger hunt.
- Take a virtual tour of a zoo or a park
- Create your own Earth Day celebration video and share it on social media
- Clean up trash along your street or plant a tree in your yard
- Make and display an Earth Day craft made from reusable materials
- Enter Preble County Solid Waste District’s Earth Day coloring contest or essay contest for cool prizes! Put your name and phone number on the forms and send them back.
Earth Day Crafts to Try
- Make a Colorful Rain Stick
- Create a Beautiful Earth Day Flower Craft
- Make a Pretty Earth Day Salt Dough Necklace
- Awesome Earth Day Slime